Catawiki is your entry into the world of fine book, map and manuscript collections. We auction interesting and attractive books of premium quality that are hard to find and appealing to passionate book collectors.
For our auctions, we seek and select books, manuscripts and exhibition catalogues of any age that are:
- scarce, with limited availability in bookshops or online book retailers (with platforms like vialibri.net as reference)
- of interest to collectors because they include one or more of the following:
- quality illustrations or engravings
- limited or numbered editions
- 1st editions in their original language
- sought after authors
- signed by the author or illustrator
- about a subject particularly in demand
- in at least good condition
- estimated to have a minimum value of €50 to ensure the overall attractiveness of the auctions
1. Scarce, collectable books and manuscripts
- We seek books, manuscripts, exhibition catalogues and old magazines.
- They must be rare and unlikely to be found in regular bookshops or on retail websites. They are only available in very limited numbers and scarce enough to be sought out.
- Unique items are particularly in demand.
An item with very few copies available is more likely to be of high value and to be attractive.
An item with more than 20 copies available or where the average retail value is under €40 will not be attractive and cannot be accepted.
2. Subjects that are particularly in demand
Subjects that are typically of interest to collectors are:
- art and photography
- literature and illustrated
- topography and maps
- science and nature
3. Collectable - First, Limited or Signed Editions
- To be of interest for collectors and suitable for our auctions, the book needs to be a limited/numbered edition or a first edition by the original publisher.
- If the edition is signed by a popular author, it will add to its value.
- As new - In the same condition as when it was published.
- Fine - Approaches the condition of ‘As new’, but without being crisp. The book may have been opened and read, but there are no defects to the book, jacket or pages.
- Very good - Shows some small, insignificant signs of wear and tear on either the binding or paper.
- Good - The average used worn book that has all pages or leaves present.
- Fair - A worn book that has complete text pages (including those with maps or plates) but may lack endpapers, half-title, etc. (which must be noted). Binding, jacket (if any), etc., may also be worn.
- Poor - Sufficiently worn. Any missing maps or plates should still be noted. This copy may be soiled, scuffed, stained or spotted and may have loose joints, hinges, pages, etc.
For our auctions, we seek books of any age that:
- are in good or better condition
- any defects need to be noted
Condition is of utmost importance.
Usually, the newer the book, the better the condition must be. A medieval manuscript in poor condition will still have value. A book published recently needs to be near perfect.
Please make sure that you mention all flaws and also include photographs clearly showing any flaws. This helps to avoid buyer returns.